If you have an animal story to share please email it to morganparkhigh@gmail.com and we will publish it on this blog.

Friday, October 10, 2014

Snake in the Pool, Turtles, and Peacocks


January 15, 2003

We spent a lazy day in Bangkok, Thailand.  We shopped a little in the beautiful shopping center attached to the Sheraton Royal Orchid.  Went swimming in the pool, beautifully surrounded by palm trees and next to the River. 

The first time we swam in the Royal Orchid Sheraton jungle pool, I hit something twice with my hand. I am very near-sighted, and a little stupid, so it took me a few moments to realize that it was a large green snake that I had hit.  

I began to reach for the snake intending to grab him and throw him out of the pool. But then my brain belatedly kicked in, and said, "SOUTHEAST ASIA. DEADLY POISON SNAKES!  DON"T GRAB IT!!"

So I just rose to the surface, and told Beth about my friend the snake.  Several pool attendants rushed over, netted the snake, killed it, tossed it in the River. They then told me, "don't worry, not poisonous."  I hoped they were right, but I went looking for bite marks anyway -- did not find any. I told Beth it would probably be fine if I did not start frothing at the mouth, at least more than normal.

On another trip we found a large turtle swimming in the pool.  And the grounds of the pool contains peacocks. The peacock strutted its stuff for Beth, unveiling it's huge fan tail composed of feathers that were sapphire blue and emerald green, and fragile like lace.  Many of them have an eye-like pattern.

Craig Hullinger MPHS Jan 66

If you have an animal story to share please email it to morganparkhigh@gmail.com and we will publish it on this blog.


More animal stories at:

 animalstoriesmphs.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment